Digital Citizenship… What does it look like in the classroom?

Posted in EDTC 300

Since I know for sure that I’m going to be teaching English Language Arts in the fall for my internship, I decided to focus on that subject in the Saskatchewan curriculum to make connections to Mike Ribble’s 9 elements of digital citizenship. I looked at the English Language Arts 30 curriculum and found the following outcomes: 

CC A30.1:

• Students will extend their abilities to speak, write, and use other forms of representation to explore and present thoughts, feelings, and experiences in a variety of forms for a variety of purposes and audiences. 

CC A30.2:

• Create and present visual and multimedia representations including using photographs to explain a range of contemporary course-related perspectives or landscapes.

Indicator:

• Use a variety of technologies to facilitate and enhance representation including computer software and multimedia technology.

This curriculum fits within Ribble’s Element of Digital Communication and Collaboration because students will learn how to express themselves using digital tools in the classroom. I think Digital Etiquette can be incorporated into any activity where students are required to use digital tools because we can constantly remind our students about the standards of conduct when using digital devices. Also, Digital Fluency will come with students becoming more familiar with digital tools, which is why we should use them in our classes as much as possible. 

Be First to Comment