Please scoot over; there’s not mushroom.

Posted in EDTC 300, and Learning Project

I decided to try a harder painting for this week and follow along with another YouTube tutorial. I had an urge to paint mushrooms and originally thought they would end up looking more like a cartoon depiction, but I am actually impressed with the amount of detail I put into my painting this time!

The tutorial I watched for this painting was shorter than the Monstera tutorial, there were also no instructions, just background music. I originally was just going to paint the mushrooms on a white background, so I ignored the first part of the video, but later I decided I wanted to have a background and it was a bit difficult to add in the green around the red mushrooms without messing them up.

As my skills have been improving I have become a faster painter and I also am not as worried about adding my own artistic touch! The video I followed would definitely not work for a beginning painter because there is no explanation of the different colours and techniques used to add shading and texture to the mushrooms. I struggled a bit with creating the grass around the base of the mushrooms because I didn’t have the correct fan brush to get those nice brush strokes. 

2 Comments

1. Danica

Hi Raine,

Your mushrooms look amazing. You have mentioned that you struggled a little bit with paining the grass… however I think that the grass at the base of the mushrooms looks awesome! Is the tutorial something that you would recommend using at school? If so, what grade do you think that this would be best suited for?

Take care,

Danica Finlay

June 14, 2022
    |Reply
  2. Tadyn Martinook

Hi Raine,
    Your painting turned out so good! The mushrooms are so cute and I love the detail. Even though you had difficulty with the grass I think it looks awesome and goes perfect with the two-toned background.

June 14, 2022
    |Reply